Matt's Old Cars.com
Fiddling with Rambler's since 1995
Send me an e-mail:
|Rambler American Restoration
Replacing The Parking Brake Lever Handle - Take 2
August 28, 2003
A few years ago, I replaced the missing parking brake handle on my American with one of the metal reproductions. I later updated that page to indicate that the handle didn't hold up well. While I was working on my cowl last year and looking for a supplier for the proper caulk for the windshield on the car, I discovered that early Mustang's use a similar handle. I finally decided to try one out (it was about $10 for the part and about $9 for shipping) and I wish I knew about these a long time ago!
The part is different but it does fit and it looks close enough that most people probably would not notice it's wrong for the car. I purchased my handle from Mustangs Plus (http://www.mustangsplus.com) and it's part number 03011, which is for 1964½ through 1966 Mustangs. I did notice one functional difference that I'll have to fix but it shouldn't be a big deal. That difference is the roll pin goes into the bottom on American's but it goes in on the side on Mustang's.
Here's pictures of both handles (note: the American handle is from my parts car and is typical of the condition these are in after 30+ years of use):
That's it for now. In a few weeks, I'll have this installed (and the front parking brake cable replaced) and I'll update this page after that happens.
December 5 Update
Okay, it's been more than a few weeks but I do have the handle installed. Instead of re-drilling the attaching pin hole in the new handle, we ended up drilling a new hole in the shaft itself. It ends up being drilled at 90 degrees to the original and a little further back on the shaft. Here's what it looks like when it's installed.
December 29 Update
I installed the parking brake lever with the new handle recently. One thing I didn't notice until it was way to late is that the hole that was drilled for the new handle isn't exactly 90 degrees to the old one so the handle is a little bit crooked. I think I'm going to try and shim the mounting stud a little to see if I can't make it look better. If nothing else, I do have another lever I can try but that may come later in the project. For now, just being able to apply the brake easily is good enough. To that end, I also replaced the original cable that goes from the lever to the equalizer (the rear cables were replaced back in 1998). Here's what it looks like now:
A few other notes on this install:
Last Updated 01/04/04 04:51:47 PM